Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chicken Thighs are gross, and other fun facts

Ok, just recommitted myself to blogging more. Some days I feel like there's nothing to talk about, but I think that's the kicker -- if you just start writing, it will come.

 I think I may be getting old. We took a super quick road trip to DFW this weekend for my niece's baptism (shoutout to Chloe!), and driving home took an additional hour and a half because I-35 hates me. Anyway, my neck, back, and shoulders have been ACHING since we got home Sunday night. After self-diagnosing myself with fibromyalgia (hypochondriac + working for Disability Determination Services = no bueno), I came to the conclusion that I think I might just be getting o-l-d-e-r. I don't feel old, but I'm probably too old to sit in the backseat of the Corolla for more than 10 minutes.

This roadtrip was also a milestone in Miscommunication between Wade and myself. Since we were getting home so late, and since my Sweet Boy was turning into a Screaming Teething Boy, we decided to stop at Wendy's for dinner. Here is what we sounded like:
Wade, pulling up to order: "Ok, what do you want?"
Me: "I'll have a --*Wyatt screaming* -- and if he's still hungr --*more screaming*-- just give him some fries."
Wade: "Ok, so a number--*Wyatt kicking and screaming*--small fries?"
Me: "Yes, some--*you get the idea*"

And that's how 2 tired parents accidentally buy their toddler his own order of fries.
Also, any parents who are against using pacies for crying babies should definitely check out the greasy, processed food alternative; it works instantly and you'll even get a shriek or two of carb-loaded joy out of them. :)

Lastly, let's talk grocery shopping on a budget. Since spaghetti was getting old REAL quick, I decided to research some blogs online for how to shop for a family of 3 as cheaply as possible. One suggestion I kept reading over and over was to get chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. You could bake them, put them in chicken salad, etc, all at a fraction of the cost. So I bought a huge pack of them, and baked them with olive oil, italian seasoning, and bread crumbs.
And forgot to trim the fat.
And dumped too much olive oil in the pan.
And nearly choked on the nastiness that was the end result. It was so gross! I think if I type any more I might gag, again, but trust me, it was bad.
So, friends, any advice on creative ways to incorporate meat into our meal plans without going over budget?
(please exclude all chicken thigh recipes, unless someone can tell me how to really cook those things!)

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could help, but I totally suck at cooking meat- especially chicken which is a big reason why I choose to eat/cook mostly vegetarian meals.

    I'm glad Wyatt enjoyed his fries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. Your father, whom worships the very ground you walk on, sent me a link to your blog. It is by far the most hilarious and entertaining blog I have ever read. So thank you for all of the laughs. A suggestion on how to cook chicken thighs. You can boil them in chicken stock and a little bit of water if you want to make thng like chicken and rice, chicken salad, broccoli rice casserole. You can also marinade them in lime juice, caynne pepper, salt and cumin and broiled them in the oven. Ensuring that you turn them every 5-7 minutes until done. Or you can go the easier route and by chicken seasoning. Last but not least, if you want some down home yummy fried chicken, you could always batter the thighs with egg amd flour and fry them up. I'm not some expert chef, I've just become very good at cooking chicken. 99.9% of the time, when you ask my 5 year old son what he wants for dinner, he says "Mommy, I want chicken."

    That is all for now, I guess. Please excuse all gramatical errors. I typed all of this from my phone. :) And thanks again for the laughs. From one mommy to another, you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt, I totally don't believe you about not knowing how to cook meat, but it does make me feel better. Why is chicken so hard to cook?!
    And new friend Anonymous, yes my dad is a mess. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I'm def going to try that lime juice recipe next time. Thanks for the suggestions and for laughing with me :).

    ReplyDelete