Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Mailbox Adventure

I'll just dive right in on this one, it really needs no introduction.

Wyatt is getting his two front teeth, so the majority of the day he's been fussy. Actually, more like whining -- he's such a sweet boy, he really doesn't get upset for much to be "fussy". Anyway! Wade left to go to a basketball game, and me and the Mister Sir were spending some quality time in the bouncer. Then the whining started. I made a bowl of rice cereal for his "snacktime" -- fail. I sat him on the floor to play with toys -- fail. We bounced up and down singing songs -- major fail. So I decided to take him outside, because outside fixes everything.

And so our adventure began.

As I was walking out the door, he yawned, and I realized it was probably naptime. "Ok," I thought, "We'll just walk down the street to the mailbox, grab the mail, and come back for naptime."

And so we walked. He calmed down, I grabbed the mail, turned around and walked home. I lifted my keys up to unlock the front door...and wait. Where's my key? Where's my --my brain at this point flashed to the exact location of the key (which, seriously, that would come WAY more in handy at 6 in the morning when I'm trying to find my car keys, but whatever.)-- key. In the cup holder. Of my car. In the garage. In the locked. House.
Ugh. Total Fail.

"Ok, no big deal" I thought. We can just walk around to the back porch and let ourselves in, because maybe this will be one of those random times we left the back door unlocked. Note to burglars: We never leave our doors locked. This entire story proves that, thanks for trying.

I open the fence, and we walk all the way around the backyard, up the patio and step over our sleeping dog Duchess, who obviously knew it was me breaking into the backyard or she would have woken up and growled ferociously, burglars take note. I tried the door, and of course it was locked. Back around the house, Wyatt being so sweet this entire time thank the Lord! I tried to lift the garage door up (can't you do that?), and yeah that thing wasn't going anywhere.

Now I realize it's getting hot, and sweet Baby's cheekers are all rosy from the sunburn he's probably getting, because he is his father's child. And of course this is the weekend my neighbor/friend Lori is out of town, so no luck hanging out there til Wade gets home, and after walking down the street to the mailbox again to check if my other neighbor/friend Brekken is home (nope!), we walked back and sat in our other car parked in the driveway. It was then that I found the bobby pins.

 I tried to pick our lock with bobby pins, ya'll, and I'm not even kidding, I was so disappointed when it didn't work like it does in the movies! I obviously have no MacGiver skills, because my next brief thought was to break a window to get in. Don't judge me, it was Naptime and I had major house cleaning to do!

Now I'm sweating/glowing, Wyatt keeps looking at me like I'm crazy, and Wade's not due home for another HOUR. I grabbed a jacket from the car and thought about hanging out on the back porch, but it was just too hot. Last option: visit my next door neighbors. Whom I've really only waved to in passing. Because they only speak Spanish.

But it was Naptime. And it was also apparently the first day of Summer. So. Hot!

Thank you Lord they were home! And of course as soon as she opened the door, I totally went blank on every single Spanish word I knew, and ended up gesturing like an idiot. :). I called Wade from her phone, and spent the next hour watching Spanish cartoons with her daughters and laughing with her as we tried to communicate.

Then Wade came and walked me home, I put Wyatt to bed, and sat on the couch and ate a huge bowl of ice cream. I think it was deserved. :)


(pardon the comb over, it was a rough afternoon :) )

1 comment:

  1. What a great story!! And so glad it had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete