Friday, May 13, 2011

Resolving to stand firm

My week was sandwiched by croup and a borderline ear infection (not mine, but I'd trade in a heartbeat, poor Baby). I felt like I was running a marathon, and I really really hate running. It's times like these that if you're not on your guard, you will get knocked down. And I mean hard.

I debated even writing about this situation, but I really mean for it to encourage. I'm not going into specifics because there's a lot I'd love to share on here, but it is the internet after all and some things I'd just rather share with people face to face.

I have a desire that God's given me, and it's something that I've struggled with lately. The timing is just not right at this very moment, and I'm learning to daily wait on the Lord and to place my hope in Him. This is my new favorite verse:
"Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:14

But just because I read or memorize this verse doesn't mean my hope is without opposition. Usually the enemy attacks using Doubt. And it's almost worked, several several times. I start to doubt that desire will ever become a reality, I doubt if that desire is really from God, and I begin to doubt myself.

This week, he changed tactics.

This week, I was approached by someone who struck up a conversation with me, and within minutes, managed to tear a major hole in that hope. And by tear, I mean punched, ripped, and stomped on it. Leading to me having, again, incredible doubt and a serious 8th grade-worthy cry fest. But this time was different. I felt shock, hurt, and confusion that hung on my thoughts throughout the entire morning. At first, I was frustrated at the individual. But as I was processing everything later in the day, it hit me.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

I could not get over how blindsided I had been by the whole conversation, and how it had such an intense affect on me. That's when I realized the game had changed. He was no longer using Doubt; that was becoming ineffective. Now he was using Guilt. You see, the odd thing about the conversation I had was that I agreed with the individual. They shared the same basic thoughts I do on the subject, but it was said in such a way that it leads me to believe it was intended to damage. It "validated" my fears and used my own guilt against me. I feel like this attack was calculated and stronger than ones ever have been in the past.

Long, slightly vague story short, we as Believers need to be at the ready. Satan is fighting a battle he will ultimately lose. Something that I've learned from a recent John Eldridge study (check him out if you haven't heard him before, God speaks mighty truth through this man) is that it is dangerous out there in the world. We are at war. There is good, and there is evil. Marriages are crumbling, parents are failing their children, and many are lulled into a dangerous complacency when it comes to being strong in the Faith. I've been guilty of this myself. So I'm writing this to encourage you. Take heart, have courage when you are being oppressed, when all seems hopeless. Christ came to give us Life! He brings Hope, He brings Healing, and He is right there for you just waiting for you to ask Him in.

I am resolving to stand firm. In Christ.
"Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm, therefore, having girded your loins with Truth, and having put on the breastplate of Righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace; in addition to all, taking up the shield of Faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of Salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."
Eph. 6:13-17.

I'm still doing the 30 day song challenge, but this song is one of my fav's and is so appropriate for now: Hillsong United -- You'll Come. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment